Tuesday, November 3, 2009

TURMERIC


Yesterday I posted a recipe with Turmeric, the cauliflower curry. I am constantly looking for ways to use this spice in my cooking. In recent years I have read and been told lots about the positive health attributes of this spice and I wanted to share this with you. Today I read this article and I thought that it would be a nice introduction to the spice for those of you perhaps not already aware of this:

http://www.thefooddoctor.com/src/inthenews/Article-Ahealth_press_turmeric/


I have to add, that this is a spice that I can not find in Dutch supermarkets, please let me know if you can. I get mine in the international stores, on the lovely spice shop on the Albert Cuyp market.

3 comments:

  1. Kim, turmeric is available in most Dutch supermarkets, including the ubiquitous Albert Heijn. At AH, you'll find it in the Indonesian section; the brand they carry is Cominex as I remember. Turmeric is kurkuma; it also says (I think) geelworltel in tiny letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Indonesian name is koenjit, I just realized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, only seeing this now and we live in the States at present - but good to know and readily available here and I still love to cook with it.

    ReplyDelete