Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pot roast chicken


Its been a while since I've posted, but since its such a stormy day we are staying in and I've decided to pot roast a chicken. I'm pot roasting as opposed to using the oven, as its a fool proof method, its easier to clean the pot than a roasting tin, and most importantly it gives me so much lovely juices to make soup with - this is in addition to the stock I will get from boiling the bones once I've picked all the chicken off.

So I take a normal dutch sized chicken - about 1 and a half kilos - if I'm up in town I go to the organic butchers on Elandsgracht otherwise I use the puur and eerlijk scharrel chickens from AH.

In a heavy based large pot, I add a small cup of water, then I add the chicken and put on a heavy lid. Bring the water up to boil and then turn down immediately and let the chicken simmer for an hour and a half. You will know if the chicken is cooked by pulling the legs, if they come away from the body easily and the juices run clear then its cooked.

Our favourite way to eat this just now is served with a large greek salad, homemade potato wedges and lots of friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment